Field Hockey Camps in America Today

Posted on November 9, 2013 by admin

Best Field Hockey Camps 2017 in United States

Field hockey is better known simply as ‘hockey’ in over 112 countries which play the sport. The name ‘field hockey’ is used as a way to differentiate it from another popular sport in the US – ice hockey. Played by millions of people, field hockey is considered one of the top sports in the world.

The origins of this game can be traced back over thousands of years. There is evidence that people in ancient Egypt, Greece and Persia played a rudimentary form of field hockey. However, the general consensus is that the sport was brought to the United States by an English woman, Constance Applebee ‘The Apple’. Applebee introduced the game to Vassar, Wellesley, Radcliffe, Holyoke and Bryn Mawr colleges.

Field Hockey Camps in Country

Not only did Applebee introduce this fast-paced game to the country, she is also responsible for the development of governing authorities like the United States Field Hockey Association, the national governing body for field hockey. The USFHA was formed in 1922 and was primarily concerned with women’s field hockey.

The Field Hockey Association of America was founded in 1930. FHAA governed the men’s game. These bodies were merged in 1993, and the resultant USFHA is the authoritative body recognized by the Olympic Committee.

Field Hockey Camps

Applebee can be credited with many ‘firsts’ in the world of field hockey. Records show that the very first filed hockey camp was initiated and operated by her in 1923! Based in Mt. Pocono, Pennsylvania, this camp garnered plenty of interest owing to the immense popularity that Applebee enjoyed. In the year of its inception, the camp trained budding athletes with a lot of success.

The enrollment was started at 300 campers but eventually reached 1000 participants. Back then, the camp focused 80 percent of their time on field hockey, while the other 20 percent was devoted to lacrosse. The US Women’s Lacrosse Association was formed at Applebee’s field hockey camp.

Field Hockey Today

Field hockey is one of the oldest games in the United States and it has only become more popular in time. Today, thousands of players across the country flock to camps during summer and winter breaks to learn new techniques and perfect the old ones. Coaches and instructors are involved in every aspect of camp, and most camps offer plenty of one-on-one coach-camper time.

Though men also field hockey, the sport has remained a female dominated one, at least in the United States and Canada, where it is a popular women’s school sport. Today, more than 250 colleges and universities in the country recognize field hockey, and offers the sport as a part of their overall sports program.

There are more than 1200 scholarships waiting to be bagged by high school players who are hoping to play field hockey in college. The popularity this sport enjoys also makes it a competitive one. Field hockey camps give players an edge over the others. Camps are dedicated to creating players who excel in every aspect of field hockey.

Types of Field Hockey Camps

Field hockey camps are conducted by a variety of third-party/private organizations. Other than these, there are plenty of college and university-run field hockey camps too. In general, these are the basic types of camps you can choose from:

  • Overnight Camps – In overnight field hockey camps, youth athletes will live, eat and breathe field hockey for at least a week! During this time, they will enjoy on-campus housing, plenty of fun-filled activities and most importantly, intensive daily instruction. Most camps offer at least 6 hours of daily instruction which includes drill time and games.
  • Day Camps – Regular day camps generally last 6 hours in a day. Players get a chance to enjoy the camp experience, meet like-minded players and learn new techniques.
  • Extended Day Camps – These are a little more intensive. They last almost 12 hours a day, and are specifically designed for commuters. These camps offer everything that overnight camps would, but you will be going home to sleep in your own bed!

Other than these, you will also find team camps and skill-specific camps. USSC NIKE Field Hockey Camps are known for the high level of instruction and the intensive experience they offer. Field hockey camps are a great place to develop new skills, polish old ones and get ready for varsity and college-level team selections.

 

Tags:

Share Us