Best Lacrosse Camps in United States 2018
Devised by the Native Americans, lacrosse has become one of the most popular team sports in America today. As its popularity soars, lacrosse camps have spread out all over the country. You can choose to attend summer or fall lacrosse camps. The sport offers youth athletes a chance to test their dexterity, skill and agility.
The Participation Survey of the US Lacrosse conducted in 2011 shows that there are more than 684,730 lacrosse players playing under organized teams. The number has only grown steadily over the years. Most of its participants fall in the youth category.
One of the factors behind its growth is the increased exposure now offered to the game. Sports channels like ESPN, NBC Sports, and CBS Sports Network show a number of collegiate as well as professional tournaments.
Today, lacrosse camps have mushroomed everywhere. They cater to a select audience of youth athletes from 5 to 18 years of age. Lax camps are a great way to introduce the youth to one of the most rapidly advancing sports in the country. Broadly, they can be classified in three types – teaching camps, showcase camps and team camps.
- Teaching/Instructional Lacrosse Camps: Instructional camps are the most preferred options for beginners and those who want to polish their understanding of the basics of the sport. As the name suggests, these camps focus on instruction and teaching the game. Teaching camps usually divide campers into different levels according to their proficiency of play. The three levels are beginning, intermediate and experienced/advanced. Campers are taught about the fundamentals, different positions, team play, concepts and skills. Adrenaline Lacrosse Overnight Camps and USSportsCamps NIKE Lacrosse Camp are popular instructional camps.
- College/Team Camps: As the term suggests, these are camps run by various schools and teams. They are an important part of a player’s training schedule. Not only do they work to hone a player’s skill, they are also an essential part of the off-season schedule for California lacrosse camps. Since, these are typically run by established colleges/teams, the expected skill level is pretty high. Not only are they important to train and develop a player’s skill, these camps also help athletes play as a cohesive team.
- Showcase Camps: Also known as recruiting camps, this is where the top schools and colleges come to scout and recruit budding players. Attending a showcase camp is essential if you want to be picked up by a good team. The best of the camps are invite-only. The top lacrosse showcase camps in America today are NIKE Blue Chip, Showtime Lacrosse National Recruiting Spotlight, Top 205, New England Top 150, Peak 200, Prep School National Showcase and Elite 180 Lacrosse Camp. These camps are held for freshmen, juniors, and seniors. One can attend more than one camp, thereby covering a host of Division I and Division II colleges.
Choosing the Right Camp
With the sheer number of camps available today, choosing the right one can become confusing. These are a few things that need to be kept in mind while selecting one camp over the other.
- Ideally, the player to coach ratio should not exceed 10:1. This ensures greater individual attention and focus.
- You will have to choose between specialized and all skills camps. Specialized camps hone one particular skill. Developing players need a more all-around coaching and all skills/instructional camps are often better options for them.
- Overnight camps spend more time building team spirit and offer an intensive training experience. But there are plenty of day/commuter camps, too. Generally, it is a good idea for beginners to attend day camp till they get used to the idea of attending lacrosse camps.
The Cost Factors to Consider
Fees for lacrosse camps range from the reasonable to the extravagantly expensive. However, look out for the hidden costs. Many camps charge a number of extras under different headings. Look out for equipment costs, social costs and the like. You need to decide on your budget, and how much you are willing to push it. However, keep in mind that high costs do not automatically mean better coaching.
Research the camps you have shortlisted before you make your choice. It is also a good idea to check out scholarships offered by various camps. Many of the best camps offer these for deserving players. The right lacrosse camp can give youth athletes the extra boost they need to stand out in a competitive game.
find sports camps near you